QuickBooks is the most popular accounting software available in online as well as offline versions. It will help the organization with no internet connection. But if you want to move your QuickBooks Desktop file to QuickBooks Online, we will discuss here the procedure to do it easily.
We are given below 3 steps of how you can move your QuickBooks Desktop file to QuickBooks Online:
Step 1: Get your desktop file ready
- Always remember that you will be able to move your company file within 60 days after signing up to QuickBooks Online.
- If your payroll setup has been done in QuickBooks online then you can move your lists instead of your company file.
- Maybe some of your lists and reports will not move due to feature differences.
- You need to make sure that the Quickbooks is up-to-date.
- Also, you need to check your company files that should be within the limit to export.
Step 2: How to Import your desktop file to QuickBooks Online
Note: First you have to use a trial version to move your file if you are currently using the previous version of 2018
- You need to first sign in as an admin to the company file that you want to import.
- Then from the company menu, you need to select the Export Company file to Quickbooks Online.
- Then press on Start your export.
- Now you need to sign in as an admin to your Quickbooks Online company.
- If you need to track inventory in QuickBooks Desktop:
- Then you need to select Yes to bring them over, and then enter the current date.
- And choose the option No when you want to set up new items later in QuickBooks online.
- Remember that only QuickBooks Online Plus and Advanced will be able to track inventory. Both plans will use the FIFO method also.
- You need to select the option Choose an online company from the list and choose the QuickBooks Online company that you want to be replaced by your company file.
- Then press Continue.
- Here you need to enter Agree in the text box and then select replace.
- Then choose Yes and to replace the data and then select replace.
Are you using Enterprise’s advanced features?
- If you are using an advanced feature (like advanced reporting and advanced inventory) then we will suggest you start with fresh as some of your data will not be converted.
- If you are looking to use these features in the enterprise, you should have to learn about cloud-enabled Quickbooks Desktop Enterprise. Or you need to switch to QuickBooks Online Advanced which is a powerful tool like smart reporting and accelerate invoicing.
- Deep dive into QuickBooks Online Advanced features will sue our test company.
- First, you need to sign in as an admin to the company file which you want to import.
- Then press Ctrl+1 on your keyboard to open the product information window.
- Now you need to press Ctrl+B+Q and then choose OK.
- Then from the Export window, you need to select Start your export.
- Now you need to sign in to your QuickBooks Online company.
- If you want to track inventory in QuickBooks Desktop:
- Then choose an option, Yes to take them over and then enter the current date.
- Select option No If you need to set up a new item later in QuickBooks online.
Note: You should remember that only QuickBooks Online Plus and Advanced will be able to track inventory. And these plans only use the FIFO method.
- Then from the dropdown, you need to select the online company and then choose the QuickBooks Online company that you have to replace with your company file.
- Then you need to choose Continue.
- Here you need to enter Agree in the text box and then choose to replace it.
- Then Choose the Yes option and to replace the data you need to select Replace it.
Step 3: Make sure your books match
You can work with one of your financial reports to check if the import process is done successfully.
- You need to run a report like profit and loss on the accrual basis in QuickBooks Desktop.
- Also, you can run the same report on an accrual basis in QuickBooks Online.
Now if your reports are matched then you can start with the QuickBooks Online and if reports are not matching then you can follow the below steps:
- You need to check this guide again to know what was wrong with the data when you tried to move it from QuickBooks Desktop to the online version.
- If you are still facing any issue with your reports then you should contact professional, who can help you to resolve the issue.
In this article we have mentioned all the steps to move your QuickBooks Desktop file to QuickBooks Online in detail with simple words, so you can understand it easily. Now you can apply it with your Quickbooks with any professional’s help.