QuickBooks Desktop is the most important and popular software for accounting work between small and medium-sized business owners and accountants and tax professionals. If you are using QuickBooks Desktop then you must face some errors while working on it. Here we will discuss what you should do at the time when showing Overflow in Quickbooks Desktop, the reason behind it, and how you can fix it.
What is an Overflow error in Quickbooks Desktop?
This error happens when all the measurements overreach the maximum limit of a specific field by merging with one another. We have mentioned below some of the cases of Overflow errors that happen in QuickBooks Desktop:
- When you are trying to open any data or report file and if already you have opened it multiple times then it will show the Overflow error on your screen.
- This error will show while running the Verify Data utility. You will see a message like “An overflow error has happed, one of your accounts has crossed the max limit that allowed” on your screen.
- This error will show mostly at the time when you are opening the chart of accounts and it will show one or more balance sheets instead of an amount.
What is the reason behind the Overflow Error in QuickBooks Desktop?
We will discuss here the main reason for overflow error in QuickBooks Desktop:
- You will get an overflow error if your account balance or other fields will exceed the limit of $9,999,999,999,999.99.
- If there will be a damaged and corrupted transaction available in your company data.
- When you will convert the huge amount to a different large amount then you may face this error.
- When your inventory value is larger than the item’s number then this error will appear on your screen.
- If the format of your file is not supporting in Quickbooks Desktop then you will see this error.
Solutions to Fix Overflow Error in QuickBooks Desktop
First, you need to make sure that your computer meets the QuickBooks desktop edition (2018, 2017, 2016, 2015)before fixing any error or issue. The main things that you check are Disk Space, Regional Settings, and RAM limit.
Problem 1: How to rebuild your data files?
- You need to go to File Menu then Utility and then rebuild Data.
- You will see a message on your screen asking for company file backup then press OK to secure your data.
- Press OK once the rebuild will be completed.
Problem 2: In case format mismatch issue
To find the overflow if you are exporting your files in Microsoft excel you need to follow the below-given steps if you found a mismatched issue:
- The overflow rows could not appear on the error report if an overflow error triggered by format mismatch. You need to create the column to show it by year or month.
- Now you need to export the spreadsheet to your computer desktop.
- Then you need to minimize the QuickBooks and right-click on the export file.
- Now choose Open with and go to Microsoft Excel.
- You need to open the search box by pressing Ctrl+F Keys.
- Then type Overflow and click to find Next.
- Now go back to QuickBooks to rectify the data in the Account, Name, and item fields.
- Then open Microsoft excel and follow the same process till no result left.
Problem 3: Overflowing Issue with a group item
- First set the Group Item Quantity to naught.
- Then close the field.
- Now you need to put again the exact Group Item quantity
Problem 4: If Only 1 Item Is overflowing
If you receive a warning while working on QuickBooks Desktop that there is one item overflowing, it could be the one, most of the time that added recently. However, there could be some exceptions, where the existing items may be the reason for this error.
To solve this error there are 2 situations given below:
Situation 1: If the error happens due to the recently added item, then you can delete it from the list and recreate it.
Situation 2: if there is already an old item:
- You need to check the resolve the transaction that is the reason for an overflow.
- If you have found the error due to the existing transaction then you need to type in Adjust Quantity/Value on the hand file to adjust or correct the average cost. In between, if you need any technical help then you should call the professionals to resolve your issue.
Problem 5: In case the account balance or other fields are too large
It can occur that the account balance field or other fields are over-reaching their limits due to some unknown reasons. $ 9,999,999,999,999.99 is the maximum limit of QuickBooks. So If the account will cross the max. limit then there will show the overflow error. Then you need to follow below steps:
- You need to perform the troubleshooting that is required for basic data damage.
- Then you need to make a portable QuickBooks company file.
- Now retore the file to a new running file.
- Then verify your charts of accounts.
- First, you need to go to the List menu and click on the Charts of Accounts.
- Now search the account that has a balance of 10,000,000,000,000.or more than that.
- Then make the balance within the limit.
- If the problem is still going then you need to follow the below steps.
- Overflow error happens on memorized reports.
- If you are facing this issue then go to the Reports menu to run the report.
- If there is no error showing in the new report then remove it and recreate the new memorized report.
- Go to the below step if you are facing the overflow error.
- Search all the field’s lists that have an amount or total. You need to add the inactive items when you go through the lists.
- You need to go to the list and select Add/ Edit Multiple List Entries.
- Now click on the customize columns and select that field that has an amount, like Cost and price. Then you need to check the overflow and rectify the amount.
- Then check if all lists are visible now.
- If you are using the updated version of QuickBooks then go to Edit then find overflow and search for the list elements then transaction.
- Now Edit the amount and keep checking till the error stop showing.
Problem 6: If there is a corrupted transaction
If the error is showing due to a corrupted transaction then follow the below steps:
- You need to run Financial Statements, sales by item, sales by customer, custom transaction report, and another report till you find the overflow error message.
- You need to keep running the Quick-zoom to find the transaction level.
- Finally, you need to correct the transaction.
In this article, we have discussed how you can fix the Overflow in QuickBooks Desktop. We hope you read this article carefully and understand the process to resolve the overflow error from your QuickBooks Desktop.