You need to convert your Quicken data to QuickBooks Desktop to keep growing your small and medium-sized business. There are only two ways to get started with the conversion: first, you can convert directly to Quickbooks Desktop, or second, you can use the Quicken converter to upgrade your file. Let’s see how you can convert Quicken data to QuickBooks Desktop.
When to use Quicken Converter
- You should only use the Quicken converter if you need to migrate from a Quicken Version that is not an equal version of your QuickBooks Desktop.
- If you want then you can avoid using the Quicken Converter and convert directly to QuickBooks using the Conversion Utility if you have a version of Quicken that is the equal version of Quickbooks Desktop.
- Quicken for Mac: The Quicken converter and the conversion utility in QuickBooks Desktop will not be able to convert Quicken for Mac data file. If you are using Quicken for Mac, then you need to convert your data file first to Quicken for Windows or create a new QuickBooks company file instead.
Convert from Quicken to QuickBooks
Use the Quicken Converter
You need to make sure before using this tool that you don’t have installed another version of it. If you do then first you need to uninstall it from your computer and download the suitable one that we have mentioned below:
- You should download the version of the converter tool that is suitable for your QuickBooks Desktop.
- Quicken 2021 Converter Tool
- Quicken 2020 Converter Tool
- Quicken 2019 Converter Tool
- Quicken 2018 Converter Tool
- Then you need to Install and then start convert.
- First your need to launch the downloaded Quicken Converter and then choose Next.
- Then you need to select I Accept the terms in the license agreement and then choose next.
- Now you need to select Next and then choose to Install to start the installation process of the Quicken Converter.
- Then you need to launch the Quicken converter and then press finish.
- Now select the option I am transferring data from Quicken for Windows and then choose to get started.
- And then select Open the data file saved on this computer and then select the file.
- Then check the Quicken file (.QDF) to select and then press ok.
- Then you need to select the option to convert it and then select OK.
- Then select the Save option to save your new Quicken Data File (.QDF) file and then save it and select Exit.
If You have upgraded your file to a required version of Quicken then you can start converting the files by using Conversion Utility in QuickBooks.
Look for .QDF, not .QFX
Although the tool is showing that it is creating a .QFX file which will not be able to use for conversion. A .QDF file is also created by this tool which you have to convert. Then look for the update .QDF file in a folder with the name Q18Files or Q17Files, which is placed in the same location where you have your original Quicken file. Also the .QDF file saved with the same name as your original Quicken file.
Use the Conversion Utility
We have discussed the steps to convert your Quicken file by using the Conversion Utility in Quickbooks Desktop.
- First of all, you need to go to the File and then Utility after that Convert and then select From Quicken.
- Then You need to select the Quicken file (.QDF) that you need to convert.
- The conversion Utility will guide you by the rest of the conversion.
If you require more detail about the Conversion Utility, press F1 to access the Help window in your QuickBooks Desktop and type convert from Quicken.
Hope you would like this article on how to convert your Quicken data to QuickBooks Desktop and understand all the steps that we have mentioned.